I would like to get some information regarding your use of Renewable Diesel Fuel (RDF) especially with respect to Fire Dept. Equipment and Response Apparatus due to their unique operation and drive cycle. If you can provide any information, pros and cons during your transition and since your changeover it would be very helpful as we look to the future of RDF in our Department. Please forward this email to the staff that might best be able to answer the following questions. Please be as specific as you can with your answers. I thank you for your time and look forward to your feedback.
- Is your Fire Department currently using Renewable Diesel Fuel as its primary Diesel Vehicle Fuel? If Yes, for how long?
- What RDF product is your Department using? Which RDF products did you try prior to deciding on it?
- What were the deciding factor(s) when choosing your current RDF product?
- Has there been any change in the vehicle maintenance requirements due to RDF?
- Were any changes to vehicles / apparatus or modifications necessary to utilize RDF?
- Have you noticed any change in vehicle performance using RDF?
- Have you noticed a measurable change in fuel consumption since transitioning to RDF?
- Have you noticed any change in the frequency of Regeneration events using RDF?
- Does your Fleet Services / Maintenance provider have any feedback on the use of RDF in your apparatus? Good or Bad?
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Assistant Chief, Fleet Services
County of Los Angeles Fire Dept.
Field Section Office (323) 881-2392