Download the PDF – CFMA update dealing with COVID-19
Dear CFMA members, March 27, 2020
The CFMA Board of Directors and staff wish you and your family all the best during these unprecedented times. Dealing with the daily updates, orders to remain at home, or work situations far outside the usual all create tremendous stress on everyone. We also know many of you are in essential positions that require your presence at work to keep our emergency apparatus in a constant state of readiness. We sincerely thank you for your service and commitment. In an effort to keep everyone updated, here are some of the things the CFMA has done and is working on to prepare for this rapidly changing situation.
1. In February 2020 the CFMA Board began monitoring the COVID 19 advance into the United States.
2. The CFMA made notification to State Fire Training March 10, 2020, due to the COVID 19 Pandemic the Board chose to cancel/postpone the CFMA 2020 Spring Academy.
3. The Board immediately recognized the impact to individuals trying to complete or maintain their mechanic certifications. Multiple options were discussed including the possibility of some remote classes and adding classes to the fall academy. The academy is at the mercy of the COVID 19 Virus and its associated rules but is always looking to safely provide training for our mechanics.
4. At that same time (March 10, 2020) dialog was also started with State Fire Training looking into a possible extension to the deadline for the new curriculum and certification standards. That negation is ongoing and we will update you with information as it becomes available. It will take some time before we have information to pass on concerning our request. Please be patient. Once we have information we will post it on the CFMA, NCFMA and SCFMA websites. Please direct all of your certification questions through the academy.
5. CFMA office staff Stacy and Yuki, have followed the shelter in place orders and are working from their homes. They are busy making sure the 2020 Spring Academy students, vendors, and invited guests for our 50th anniversary have been contacted and notified of the postponement. It’s been a difficult job as many have not responded to confirm they received notification. They are following up with phone calls making sure everyone has been contacted.
6. The CFMA board has a meeting planned for late May at our McClellan Business Park office. Currently do to the COVID 19 situation we’re planning on rescheduling or conducting it on the ZOOM online meeting room. At that time, we will evaluate the current status of the COVID 19 situation and all associated orders that may remain in place for an extended time frame. We are hopeful to move forward and continue planning for the 2020 Fall Academy at Ben Clark Training Center Moreno Valley, Ca.
Please feel free to call the office at (916) 333-5044. Our office staff is maintaining the same business hours Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9 AM to 2 PM. You can also email us with questions at email@example.com
Joseph Pastore, President
California Fire Mechanics Academy